If you’re wondering whether there is any way to speed up the process of receiving benefits through the VA Aid and Attendance Benefit than can provide all important support for veterans home care, the answer is yes, there are some things that can be done.
At the moment, the concern that many veterans and their families have with regard to these benefits is that the application process is taking months to move through. Some families have reported that they applied for their elderly father in the fall and still hadn’t heard back from the VA by spring. For one family, their father, a former military veteran who had served during the Korean War, had passed away before he saw any type of financial benefit. He would have benefitted from care at home and even though he had been denied other pension benefits based on his income level, he could have qualified for the Aid and Attendance pension.
The frustration that this family faced is not uncommon. The Veterans Administration claims that it is understaffed and overburdened with claims for benefits from a variety of veterans, including current service members who are returning from war with injuries, post-traumatic stress, and other disorders and require assistance.
There are advocates that can assist with the paperwork, but the best advice would be for the veteran to be active in the application process, to be patient and make sure that they reach a specific person involved in the approval process. Also, it’s important to be consistent and persistent. When you are working to get veterans home care benefits, focus on making sure that you understand the process, the usual as well as expected waiting time, and follow up the moment those time periods have expired. If your loved one has an emergency situation, call on the VA to expedite the process.
10 Years Experience Helping Veteran Families
At Veterans Home Care, we’re dedicated to helping veterans who have proudly served their country, or their surviving spouses, get the benefits they deserve.
- We help you determine if you qualify for the VA Aid & Attendance Pension Benefit.VetAssist Program
- We assist you to identify and obtain documents needed for the application.
- We help you complete and submit the application to the VA.
- We provide your home care right away.
- We furnish an interest-free loan so you can pay for your home care while the VA processes your application.
- We monitor your application’s progress, and assist with responses to VA requests for additional information until your pension is approved.
- Even after you receive your pension, our VetAssist® Program keeps working for you
- We monitor your home care, to assure that you get the services you need, on a schedule that
- works for you.
- We keep track of your medical expenses and help you stay in compliance with the VA, so you retain the maximum allowable pension amount.
- We assist you to file any additional paperwork with the VA.
- We’re always a phone call away if you have questions or concerns.
For more information and to learn about Veterans Home Care St. Louis, contact Veteran’s Home Care at (888) 314-6075.