Thank you for contacting Veterans Home Care.
Someone from our team will be in touch as soon as possible to answer your questions about eligibility.
To be eligible for the VetAssist Program, you must:
a) Be eligible for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)’s Pension with Aid and Attendance
b) Choose to use your VA Pension with Aid and Attendance primarily for in-home care or adult day care.
Use Our Easy “3 M” Questionaire to See If You Qualify:
1) Military: Are you a veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran who served at least 90 days on active duty, at least one day during wartime, with an honorable or general discharge? (Persian Gulf War veterans must have two years of active duty or the full period for which they were called for active duty.)
Here are the VA-Defined War Periods:
- World War II: December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950 -January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: August 5, 1964-May 7, 1975 . Veterans who served February 28, 1961-August 5, 1964, must have served “in country” (Vietnam).
- Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990- date to be prescribed by Presidential Proclamation or law. Must have served active duty for two years or the full period of which the veteran was called for active duty.
2) Medical: Do you have a non-service-connected medical condition causing you to need assistance with activities of daily living? Examples of assistance include help with: dressing, bathing, light housekeeping, meal preparation, using the bathroom and mobility?
3) Money: Do you have limited income and assets? (Your home and car are exempt.)
If You Are a Surviving Spouse…
You must meet a fourth requirement:
4) Marriage: Were you married to a wartime veteran for at least one year? Were you married to the veteran at the time of his/her death? Have you remained unmarried or did your remarry after January 1, 1971 and your remarriage ended before November 11, 1990?
If you are a veteran or veteran’s widow/widower and answered yes to all the above, you meet the basic requirements for the VetAssist Program!
If you did not answer yes on all the questions above, but you are a veteran or a veteran’s surviving spouse, you may want to contact a Veteran Service Officer to see if qualify for any other VA programs.
Veterans Home Care LLC